You have a lot of options when it comes to hiring a builder or renovator in Calgary. But, as with most things, not all are created equal. It is critical that you do your research before selecting someone to do the work you need done.
At Kurmak, we’re happy to be compared to other builders- because we’re proud of our work and our reputation. So, we’ve outlined some information that you should look into on every builder you’re considering.
- Are they a member in good standing of the Calgary Region Home Builders Association?
- Are they a member in good standing of the Better Business Bureau?
- Are they a RenoMark certified builder? (more on this in our next post)
- Are they a member of the National Home Warranty program?
- Are they licensed, insured and bonded?
- Are they willing and able to provide references?
Do not accept any excuse for a builder or contractor unwilling or unable to provide any one of these elements. And you don’t have to “take their word for it”. A reputable builder will be happy to prove their credentials.
You know those stories you see on the six o’clock news of people who’ve had horrendous issues with their contractor? More than likely they “took someone’s word for it”. Would you rather be on the six o’clock news or watching it from the comfort of your well built home?